Wednesday 2 January 2008

The sky's the limit


In High Spirits (December 4th) I referred to the bottle of 90 degree alcohol I had bought. On the Combo Estate is a bush that has leaves that reek of lemon, (although it doesn't produce any fruit) but just brush past it and the aroma it gives off is quite splendid. Anyway, I plucked about 100 leaves, put them in a large container with the alcohol and left them there for about three weeks. Then I boiled some sugar in water, put it all together and ecco! the perfect digestive! I gave it a run out on New Year's Eve and the assembled Eyties said it was as good as any of the commercially available products, usually called by the generic Limoncello and from the south of Italy. Whilst they obviously didn't want to upset their wild-eyed, booze-crazed host, I must say it's not at all bad. As you can see no expense was spared in terms of the packaging.
A statement will shortly be forthcoming with regard to January and alcohol.

6 comments:

Peter Ashley said...

How does it compare with Fernet Branca, Ron? I've only once tried a digestive, just because Len Deighton's nameless hero drank it with a Gauloise in one of the earliest (and best) novels. When I've researched it I'll let you know what is was called. And don't forget that my mate Len edited a book on booze called Drinksmanship with a picture of him on the cover manhandling Pattie Boyd. Rare collector's item.

Fred Fibonacci said...

Ron, now you're talking. Combocello looks like the business to this reader. I'd be careful about lighting up a Gauloise anywhere near or the Combo eyebrows could get awful toastie.

Peter Ashley said...

Got it. Underberg. Now there's one for you.

Fred Fibonacci said...

Sounds a lot like 'Thunderbird' after one too many glasses Peter.

Ron Combo said...

Fernet Branca is extremely popular here (as are all digestives) and actually, it isn't all that bad. However its days are obviously numbered now that the Combo Inc. marketing machine is about to swing into action and launch my lemony confection onto a delirious Italian market. Underberg is more in favour (I think) with our Prussian friends, but I'll have to Wiki it to check it out, innit.

Diplomate said...

underberg - sort of titanic if you ask me