Monday 1 August 2011

Hubris





I cannot remember a summer like this, in terms of the weather, which has been uniformly awful. But, remarkably, awful without a drop or rain. It's been dry with some serious gales which often saw the garden furniture sailing merrily over the fence. The tomato plants took a real hammering in a particularly bad rain-free tempest about six weeks ago and they've never really recovered. Once Italians used to compliment me on the size and abundance of my tomatoes. Now little groups of horribly-inbred wall-eyed locals stand just outside the gates, pointing at me and cackling with cruel humour at my discomfiture. I try and chase them away with comments like "Hey Benito, that's a nice tooth you've got" but they soon re-assemble and carry on with their gurning and grinning.

5 comments:

Diplomate said...

I feel for you Ron, diplo tomatoes suffering badly - pigs doing fine though - MORE FARMING !

Peter Ashley said...

Saw some beautifully fat tomatoes in the greenhouse at Audley End.

Vinogirl said...

Ooh, they do look awful. Second summer here of it being too cool in Vinoland to ripen anything in my tomato patch.

Affer said...

Good job you don't grow almonds. No man should suffer shrivelled nuts.

John McClane said...

Now little groups of horribly-inbred wall-eyed locals stand just outside the gates, pointing at me and cackling with cruel humour at my discomfiture.

Sounds like Bulgaria to me. They're all banjo-players round here. cf Deliverance.

"Hey Benito, that's a nice tooth you've got"

I say the same. Then I say, oops, it just dropped on the floor. Shall I pick it up for you?